HERITAGE INTERPRETER (PART TIME, PERMANENT)
Purpose of the Position
As a team player with initiative the Interpreter will provide a source of skilled support for the education and guest services departments to create an amazing experience for visitors. The weekly hours for this position are Saturday and Sunday from 9am-4:30pm. A candidate who is also available for occasional work on evenings and holidays would be an asset to the team.
The position is primarily responsible for ensuring smooth operation of our front-of-house services, including conducting a range of interpretive services for the public. Interpreters are also responsible for relief and occasional guest services responsibilities, including visitor check-in, cash handling, shop restocking, public information, and cleaning. All duties must be performed in compliance with occupational health and safety policies, including our Covid-19 mitigation protocols.
This position reports directly to the Education Manager.
The Hangar Flight Museum is a museum in northeast Calgary that aims to inspire dreams of flight. The Hangar Flight Museum will be a premiere destination to explore, engage, and experience the transformational power of flight. We are storytellers, stewarding and sharing the aviation history of Calgary and western Canada and its impact on our community. The collection holds rare and historically significant military and civilian aircraft.
The Hangar Flight Museum is seeking qualified applicants with strongly developed public speaking and storytelling skills who enjoy working with all ages. Some post-secondary education (preferably in history, anthropology, archaeology, education, or science) would be considered an asset. A successful candidate will be able to work well independently and have good problem solving skills, but also be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Learn the history of aviation in Canada, especially as it pertains to the artifacts in our collection.
- Learn tours and public interpretation methods to provide outstanding visitor experiences
- Perform admissions and gift shop duties as needed. This includes cash handling, shop restocking, answering phone and email inquiries and giving tourist information about Calgary
- Assist with performing cleaning duties as needed to a high standard in compliance with our Covid-19 mitigation protocols
- Complete programming for Open Plane Days, sleepovers, birthday parties and youth groups as part of the education team
- Assist the education team with preparation for field trip programming
- Assist with events. We are a small but mighty team at The Hangar that is all hands on deck for major events
- Maintain a neat and presentable common work area
- Other tasks as required
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent verbal communication
- Must be detail oriented with ability to multi-task and consistently follow procedures
- Ability to work within a small team environment, and with minimal supervision
- Ability to exercise good judgment, critical problem solving and initiative
- Ability to adapt and thrive in an ever-changing environment
- Ability to develop interpretive social media content is considered an asset
- Knowledge of the Museum industry and interpretation methods is considered an asset
- Knowledge of the aviation industry and military history is considered an asset
- Being able to answer visitor questions in a second language is considered an asset
- High School diploma
- Experience working in an educational or interpretive setting (such as childcare, summer camps, museums, or performing arts)
- Must have an average knowledge of computer software programs including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher etc. Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite is considered an asset
- Criminal record check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Standing on hard floors for long periods of time
- Moving boxes and other support material (supplies, displays etc.)
- Ability to lift up to 10 kilograms
Position closes June 20, 2021 with an intended first day of work on July 3. To apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.